Saturday, April 30, 2011

Expired


Ben and I disagree on when food should be tossed.  I realize I am a little strict on my ideas about when food will go "bad".  Milk should be tossed no later than the expiration date.  I may even toss it the day before.  I had a bad experience with milk once.  So sue me.  Meat should never be consumed after the expiration date.  Though, the more I live with Ben, the more lenient I get on this particular subject.  I’ve even bought meat a couple days before the “Sell By” date in the supermarket and put it in the freezer.  I know - it scares me too.  Crackers, when they expired in September of 2009, need to be thrown away.  Ben thinks they are fine.  He can’t understand why I would waste perfectly good, unopened crackers.  He thinks I am stuck on the expiration date thing.  It’s really more that I don’t like stale food.  Chips need to be kept in bags that are tightly sealed and, if not consumed within a week, at most, need to be tossed.  Don’t get me started on bread or cereal or any other grain based product.  I’m a food snob - or an expiration snob, whichever you prefer.  I think I take after my father too much in this regard, but I am so completely okay with that. 

1 comment:

  1. And this is one of those places we know they're brothers...we have the same discussion in this house all the time. Obviously, I'm on your side in this. :)

    ReplyDelete