Saturday, April 9, 2011

Employment


I filled out an application yesterday to be a Pharmacy Tech for CVS.  The application literally took me 40 minutes!  They asked me 200 questions about what I would do if, and do I do this, or that, or the other thing.  Seriously?  Yes, I do find people annoying sometimes, but if I “Agree” with that statement, you aren’t going to hire me because you’ll think I don’t like people.  If I “Disagree” with that statement, you’re going to know I am lying and not give me the job because you’ll think I am unethical.  Really, CVS? That is so not fair.  I realize they use these types of question to determine personality traits and to determine whether the applicant is a serial killer, but all those questions do is to freak people out and make then doubt the sincerity of their answers. 
Now, some of you are probably wondering why I was applying for a Pharmacy Tech job anyway.  If you don’t already know, I recently quit my job as a paralegal in Richmond, and moved North (Gasp, did I really just say that?!?) to York, Pennsylvania.  I never thought I’d be living in Pennsylvania again.  Heck, I never thought I’d be leaving the city of Richmond.  I like Richmond.  It’s a cute little city.  But, Ben, my boyfriend of almost four years, moved to Maryland a year ago and it was high time that I joined him.  As some of you more astute readers will say, “Maryland? You said you moved to Pennsylvania.”  The truth is that Ben lives in a small town in Maryland not too far from the PA border and, at the end of this month, will be moving up to York with me. 
Anyway, back to the whole point of this discourse.  I was applying for a job as a Pharmacy Tech, because I need to find a job.  In rural Pennsylvania there aren’t too many paralegal jobs.  In rural Pennsylvania there are definitely not any electronic discovery paralegal jobs.  Before I was a paralegal, I worked in manufacturing; warehouses in particular.  I enjoyed that type of work.  I like the physical aspect, the mental challenges that come with trying to tidy up month-end inventory, and the appeal of knowing, at the end of the day, that I had done an honest day’s work. When I left my last job, I was tired.  Tired of dealing with the inability to change things for the better.  Tired of being the only person responsible for certain tasks.  Tired.  York, and a retail/manufacturing/warehouse job, will give me a chance to recharge; remember why I liked being in a position with responsibility.  I'll work a 9 to 5 and be able to leave my problems, if there are any, at work when I leave.  I am so looking forward to that.
Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment