Thursday, May 5, 2011

This week in history


I am happy that a chapter of the war that has been raging for 10 years is over.  I'm not happy that someone is dead.  It might be Osama Bin Laden, but he is still a human being.  Yes, I am well aware that thousands of other people have lost their lives due to a war that was started by an idea of Osama Bin Laden.  I’m aware that thousands of people were killed on September 11, 2001 due to the people that Osama Bin Laden sent into action.  I know that.  It doesn’t mean that I support the war that has killed so many of our soldiers and so many of their soldiers.  It doesn’t mean I support the war that has killed innocent people that were in the way when our soldiers went to kill their soldiers.  I do support our soldiers.  My dad was in the Air Force and I grew up supporting and following those in the military and, especially, our Commander in Chief, i.e. the President of the United States.  I hope that the end of this chapter also brings about the end of the war in general, but I don’t believe it will.   
It saddens me that our younger generation posts things like, "Dumb, dumb, Arabs".  Not all Arabs are assholes and they shouldn't all be put in the same category.  It also saddens me when I see people posting on Facebook that Osama’s death is just a ploy from Obama to get re-elected.  Really?  If, and it’s a big if, someone knew where Osama was and could have ended this chapter a long time ago and chose to wait until it was politically convenient for whichever President happened to be in office at that time, then I no longer want to be an American.  Sure, I think Obama’s people, and maybe Obama himself, timed the announcement of Osama’s death…no better way to get back at Donald Trump than to interrupt his show during the crucial boardroom moments.  I don’t think they waited until Obama’s poll numbers were down before they put the plan into action for taking out Bin Laden. 
The other thing that bothers me is that people seem to be pissed off that we aren’t being shown pictures of Osama Bin Laden’s body.  I don’t want to see it.  Why does the US Government have to prove anything to me, to us, by showing us a picture?  The guy is dead.  Isn’t that enough?  Interestingly, I think if they had shown us the picture, the same people that are pissed about them NOT showing the picture, would have been the ones that ranted and raved because the picture was too graphic.  Sometimes people let their political views define and direct who they are.  Grow up already. 
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment